There are a number of oil and gas additives that do not fit neatly into functional groupings. Fibers are used for controlling the lost circulation. These types of fibers (special cement additives) also improve the impact resistance and increase the cement slurry compressive strength. The flexibility of cement can be improved by the use of special additives. This increase in flexibility provides increased resistance to failure by mechanical stresses imposed on the cement during well operation. Granular salt (sodium chloride) and potassium chloride are used primarily to change the ionic nature of the water in the slurry, which helps to minimize adverse formation interactions. In cases where there is salt in the cement slurry, high concentrations of salt, up to saturation, are commonly used to prevent leaching salt from the borehole wall. Silica is used to combat strength retrogression, which is a change in the hydration products that are formed when cement is exposed to high temperatures (>110°C [230°F]). Silica is available in coarse or fine grades for cementing.
Applications where this additive is effective include:
- Primary cementing
- Remedial cementing
- Annular thermal insulation
- Improve typical pneumatic equipment’s ability to provide fluid-like flow for bulk materials.
- Cement particles separate more easily
- Surging can be reduced
- Smoother cement flow
- Better density control
- Reduces material lost as high as 50%
- It can greatly improve the transfer of bulk materials
- Alters the pack-set index
- Reducing the effect of environmental factors such as temperature and humidity
- Offsets the effect of tanks with a low angle of repose including horizontal & marine tanks
Check out all of our special cement additives
At Petrochem, we are proud of our special cement additives that have multiple advantages including making stronger products, hardening concrete using foaming, providing a smoother cement flow, building strength retrogression, and expanding slurries. We also even offer an additive that combines all the best properties of our products. Contact a real professional of cement additives today and find ways to make your slurries stronger within the oilfield industry.